Most children respond well to the treatment described above. Some children, however, occasionally present with behavioral considerations that require more advanced techniques. Pediatric dentists, such as Dr. Kao, are specially trained and familiar with the use of protective stabilization, sedation, and general anesthesia to assist patients.
Children who are very young or have a high level of anxiety with the necessary treatment may require some level of sedation. Sedation is also helpful for children with special needs. There are many safe and effective medications available to help relax the child and promote a good environment for optimal and safe dental treatment.
Sedation dentistry is most helpful for:
• Children requiring major treatment
• Children with high anxiety level
• Children with a history of traumatic dental experiences (sound and smell aversion)
• Children with a strong gag reflex
• Children who are medically compromised or have special needs